Sunday, June 22, 2008

Here Are Things:

Well this seems to be turning into a once a week update kind of blog. I'm sorry about that, I'll try to do better this week. A lot has been happening lately. I've moved. My old place at 90 Washington fell through which is a major bummer. Luckily Ryan Dorsett was kind enough to let me take over his living room as soon as that fell through. As it turned out, one of his roommates was just leaving to go home for a little while when I dropped in on them; so now I have taken over her room in the apartment. The place is really great. It's in Brooklyn so the building is no skyscraper but there's much more character here. A picture of the outside of the building can be seen in a previous post here. Whats great about this place is also that it is on the top floor, which means we have access to the roof. The view is gorgeous, it's not far from the subway, and I have a really cool roommate. The picture isn't great but I'll put more up later on. Manhattan from my roof:



I walked down by the Brooklyn Bridge the other day. An artist named Paul St. George
made something down near it that he calls the Telectroscope. Read about it here. He has a lengthy story explaining the whole thing but basically there is one here in New York and one in London and they are connected via a huge tunnel that runs beneath the Atlantic Ocean. Visitors can go to either site and see people visiting the site on the other side of the world. Even the Queen of England has been to view it. I didn't want to wait in the lengthy line but the Telectroscope itself is a sight to see. See:



More pictures of the Telectroscope can be seen at their website, here

So I've started working as an intern full time now at Seliger Studios. It's some hard work sometimes but its always worth it. This past week was really slow as far as shooting goes. We shot one thing and it was of Mark for a contributing artist column in Vanity Fair. The first and second assistant and I were the only ones there with Mark. It was intense but I don't think I screwed anything up too badly. Other than that I've just been doing things around the studio. I built a new rack for our backgrounds. I've been delivering things to ad agencies like J.W. Thompson and Magazine offices of GQ and Vanity Fair. It's a whole different world. Sometimes it's a little stressful when things need to be rushed but that just adds to the excitement. (plus that means I get to take a cab rather than ride the subway) I'm having fun and trying to make the most of my time up here. I don't know who or what we're shooting anytime soon but I'm already pumped about it.

And now for something completely different.

1 comment:

daneamales said...

Alex,

I got caught up on your blog in one setting. It sounds like you are having fun and taking advantage of being in NYC. Enjoy the rest of your time there, and tell Ryan I said hello.

Danea